Monday, June 4, 2012

Microwave Cabinet




I needed to save the precious little counter space I have in the kitchen by hanging the microwave on the wall somewhere.  So I took this little double door cabinet that hung in the basement and rebuilt it into a cabinet for the microwave.


Cabinet Before:


I took off the doors, sawed out the middle strip that stopped the doors, ripped off the back, and then built a framework for a ventilation screen at the back, as well as a hole for the cord to go out.



I made the back frame out of different sized pieces of wood.  I had a hard time making the hole in the wood for the cord guide.  I made a ring of holes with my drill’s largest bit, and then tried to cut the rest out with a saw. Wasn't the prettiest approach, but it functioned as a hole, and then I got one of those cord guides you see built into office desks and put it into my not-so-perfect hole.


I bought a piece of radiator screen and painted it white so that the heat from the back of the microwave could escape from the cabinet once on the wall.





Then I used an old shelf from the basement to make a ledge/inner base in the cabinet that was strong enough to hold the microwave.  





Painted the whole thing white, and hung it up.  


After:







I was so proud of it because I designed it myself and I think it is pretty and matches the pantry below.  Hooray! ~ Kellie

1 comment: