Sunday, June 24, 2012

New Velvet Headboard, Same Old Bed



My husband didn't want to get a new bed, but I was ready for a change.  So I built a frame that hooks over the old headboard and upholstered it in velvet.  It is so cozy and I can't believe I waited so long.  I bought my first staple gun.  Love staple guns...

Ikea bed before:
HEMNES Bed frame IKEA Adjustable bed sides allow the use of mattresses of different heights.

Building the frame:

 

 

View from the back - messy, but keeps the original headboard protected:


I fiddled around with covering buttons, but the fabric was too thick.  Staples weren't strong enough to hold all of the layers.  So I ended up using dark bronze screws with washers (I needed the washers to keep the fabric from pulling up around the screws.)  We can call it "industrial chic," even if it was serendipitous.



Way easier than I had worried all this time.  Especially if you don't need to work over an existing headboard and just start with a piece of plywood the right size.

Supplies:
  • fabric
  • egg carton mattress pad for tufting.
  • screws, washers
  • staple gun
  • power drill
  • wood

~ Kellie


No comments:

Post a Comment